Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome, 2011 !

[This was supposed to be posted yesterday, but let's just pretend:)] 


Today is your last day. Well, your last day to do or not do all of those things that will be on your list of resolutions that will show up tomorrow. You will vow to keep these goals for the next 365 days of the year...starting tomorrow. Are you ready?? 

I thought I would research the "Top 10" New Year's Resolutions and not to much surprise, here's what I found: 

1. Diet/Exercise
2. Quit smoking
3. Spend more time with family/friends
4. Quit drinking 
5. Stop procrastinating
6. Save $$/get out of debt
7. Go to Church
8. Stop cursing
9. Volunteer/help others 
10. Learn something new

While these are all admirable goals, I personally do not set New Year's resolutions. You might be thinking that I do not set them because I am afraid of failing and abandoning my resolutions...but you might be wrong! You might then be thinking that not setting them is a pessimistic attitude toward the new year and lacking in hope that it will be different or better than the year just completed. Again...wrong! 

I have never set NYE resolutions because I am constantly setting new goals for things that I want to achieve. There is always something new for me to learn, always something to be challenged by and something for me to add or purge from my life. Just because tomorrow we will sign and date with an 11 instead of a 10 does not mean that I am all of a sudden starting from scratch and going to do or not do something for the next year just because of an arbitrary date change. 

If you are making your list right now...good for you! Goal-setting is a wonderful thing and I think it's awesome if you set a goal that you will keep for the next year. Even if you don't keep them for every day of the year, the mere act of setting the goal is a good practice of discipline, which, we all need...right!! 


Best to luck of everyone with your smaller food portions, new gym memberships (or just to actually using it, now), less of some things, more of others and to a happy, healthy, blessed 2011! 

"Because of the Lord's great love 
we are not consumed, 
for his compassions never fail. 
They are NEW every morning; 
great is your faithfulness."

Lamentations 3:22-23

0 comments: