I'd like to think that I am 99% of the time a carefree, non-complaining person. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt in most situations, keep a positive attitude and really try to see things from other's point of view instead of getting frustrated. However, our trip to Olive Garden tonight made all of the above things ring very untrue for me. We had some Bad, capital B, service people. It was rough. The food...great as usual. The long periods of waiting around, glasses being water-less most of the meal and the multitude of teenage 'servers' attempting to figure out who was supposed to be helping us, however, were just plain rough. The main thing that bothered me, though, was the water. Yes, I willingly ate several hot, gooey, garlicy breadsticks that helped along my thirst, but still...I just didn't think it was that hard to fetch a glass of water for a sista. My ugly side wanted to come out with every ounce of me.....but Justin helped me keep my cool. Thanks to my better half, or it could have gotten nasty!! ;)
We weren't in a hurry tonight. Nor do we have to have our meals served to us on the finest of china or expect superb quality from a chain like Olive Garden. However, I really just wanted some water....and I let it go to far in my mind. ;) See, my first "real" job was waiting tables at a little burger joint, Goldies, that used to be in Colleyville. I'm not sure I made a wonderful waitress (actually, I think I was pretty dang awful at the whole '3-track memory thing), but one thing I do remember is how absolutely insistent our manager was on keeping customers drinks full. The rule of thumb was to never let anyone's glass get past halfway mark....ever. He meant business. And he proved it by patrolling the restaurant like a vulture with a pitcher of water. I know he was just itching for someone to take that last sip which pushed them to the halfway mark so he could come to the kitchen and lecture to us on how we were slacking on our jobs as "servers," the "value of keeping glasses full at all times" and how it was a "mark of true service and a good waiter/waitress" that he had learned over his many years in the industry." Ya ya. The majority of my time waiting tables, I stressed more over those dang plastic water cups than I ever did about making sure orders were right, carrying on coherent conversations or even smiling and looking happy. That doesn't seem quite right to me. But hey, my customers didn't go thirsty!
I'm not sure if I would have gotten quite as 'irked' tonight, had I not had that hardcore experience waiting tables growing up (hard-knock life, right?! ha). Anyone who has worked in the food industry knows that it is tough work. People get a little cranky and particular when it comes to meal time and having things done exactly how they want them. Being a server is a hard job and thanks to Justin, I was reminded of my days dealing with cranky, hungry people and how the balancing act is so very tough. Sorry, Olive Garden waitress, for thinking you were incompetent tonight. We all have days where we just can't seem to get it together and everything gets a little out of control for a bit. I, for one, totally know that feeling and am thankful for this little reminder.
All I know is, I'm drinking a LARGE glass of water before I go to bed tonight and am thankful to my sweet husband for helping me see things "glass half FULL" versus my Olive Garden empty view, tonight.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Glass half empty?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Good point :)
Post a Comment