Tuesday, December 7, 2010

One man's trash...another man's treasure

If you've never bought a real Christmas tree before, part of the process is getting a fresh cut on the end, so it will be able to absorb water when you set it in the base. They can either cut it for you when you pick out your tree or you can DIY. Since Mainstay Farm is about 45 minutes from our apartment and the cut is only good for about 30 minutes before you need to place the tree in water, we decided to DIY and headed to my parents house for the saw! 


When my dad finished cutting the end of the tree (on top of Justin's truck...scary!), the sentimental side of me kicked in full-swing and I decided I wanted to save the part he cut off. My dad and Justin laughed at me a little because the piece was all sappy and just didn't look pretty. BUT I was determined to keep a part of our first tree make something out of it. So, I had my dad cut it down smaller and let it dry out for a few days. I'm glad these guys put up with me, because I think we got a pretty cute little ornament out of it that we'll be able to keep forever! ;) 
The tool man, himself, hard at work. 
The fresh cut!
I guess the blog 'thing' to do now is to post the instructions on how I made this, so here you go:
1. Buy a tree. Cut bottom of tree.
2. Sand sides of stump so it's smooth.
3. Grab a sharpie and go to town! I wanted it fairly simple.
3. Decorate sides how you wish. I just added a pic printed on computer
paper, antiqued the edges, and added the gold numbers. Fancy! Ha. Not much to it :)
A few more Christmas details :)

0 comments: