Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Visual Guide to Snacking!

What is your favorite meal of the day? I think I will say dinner is mine. Though, when I really stop and think about it, I usually get more excited about my 'snack' times of the day than I do at the traditional meal times. Twice a day this happens. Once in the morning after breakfast and once after lunch and I get hunger pangs that tell me I should devour an entire pan of Ghiradelli double chocolate brownies by myself (my usual craving and yes, I really think if put to the challenge I could do it. An entire 9x13 pan, no doubt). 


Since that would not be a good idea in regards to my health or contentment of my husband (seeing me grow my own 'fat baby,' would not be attractive to him), I have to choose my snacks wisely. Sometimes this is a difficult task! 

Our 3 main meals are usually planned out and prepared to be balanced (for the most part), so these random non-meal times of the day we find ourselves hungry can be challenging. Typically we want something fast and not too filling before our next meal, so a healthy choice not always the most appealing or efficient option. Our mind and tummy want to tell us that a Snickers (or pan of brownies) is quick and will do the trick! 

To help with our snacking habits (yes....they are habits!), I found this "Visual Guide" to healthy snacking online and thought I would share a few of the healthy, low calorie options with you!
15-20 raw almonds = 139 calories and oh-so-good for you
Raw baby carrots = 60 calories
 Raw celery & hummus = 108 calories
Grapes = 148 calories
Apple = 96 calories. Spice it up by peeling, slicing and sprinkling with a dash of cinnamon. bake in the oven until tender. YUM!
Cherry tomatoes = 27 calories 

Here are a few other suggestions for you to try if you are bored with baby carrots and apples :) 
I LOVE Kim's Magic Pop with a little bit of Nutella or natural peanut butter. 
They are also great with different spreads or cheeses! 

AdvoCare SNACK BAR and MEAL REPLACEMENT SHAKE. Really, both of these are
the bomb.com in taste and nutritional value. Check them out here.

Or you do it my style and try a combination of everything listed above. Justin loved it.
See....snacking healthy can be FUN! ;)

Happy Snacking!!

1 comments:

Tambra Starnes said...

Thanks for the ideas Court!!! I LOVE the Magic Pop too ~ it's unusual but so fresh and gooooood!!!